Couples who camp together, stay together, they say. I think I just made that up, but it sounds pretty good, right? Spending quality time in the outdoors with your significant other can be just the antidote couples need to combat the stress and monotony of daily life.
Besides enjoying good eats, getting good sleep is one important aspect of a good couples camping trip. Finding the best camping air mattress for couples will make this dream a reality. Whether you are a hiker, backpacker, or pack it all car camper, there is a camping air mattress for you. This guide will fill you in on all the details necessary to make sure you get a couples air mattress that checks off all of your boxes.
5 Best Camping Air Mattresses for Couples
We’ve collected data and reviews to build this list of the 10 best air mattresses for couples who love to camp together. We selected only brands with excellent reputations and mattresses with a solid history of quality. First, let’s do a breakdown of the Top 5 for quick comparison.
This article contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase after clicking through one, this site may earn a small commission, at no cost to you. Product Links & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API, Last updated 2020-03-31 at 11:11.
Before Buying: Understand These Air Bed Features
- Self-Inflating: A self-inflating camping mattress is exactly that, lay out the bed flat, open the valves and allow the mattress to inflate itself. It is certainly a nice feature but can take a long time to fill and doesn’t always give you the firmest mattress, so you may need to pack a pump.
- Pumps: Most couples camping mattresses come with a pump, either electric or manual. Electric pumps are great, especially the rechargeable type. Just attach the tip into the mattress valve, flip the switch and watch it fill. A manual pump is OK too, you won’t ever need to worry about running out of juice as you get your tent together after a long day of hiking.
- Insulated Padded Tops: An insulated air mattress is nice to have on those cold nights in the tent. The extra padding keeps the cold ground between you and your warm sleeping bag.
- Mattress vs Sleeping Pad: An air mattress uses air to provide distance between the sleeper and the ground or other surfaces. They can offer more cushioning and thickness variation when compared to a sleeping pad. Mattresses can be heavier than sleeping pads, and while good for car camping, not all may be suited for backpacking. On the other hand, a sleeping pad has thermal technology that gives sleeping the warmth and support they require for ground camping. Aside from a pure foam sleeping pad, sleeping pads are generally lightweight and compact, many finding they can store them inside a pack.
- PVC Free: Specific materials that are manufactured in such a way as to eliminate any potential off-gassing or odd smells. This is beneficial for those with PVC sensitive skin.
- R-Value: A higher R-value is used to talk about the insulation of an air mattress. A high R-value is desired when looking for all season comfort when camping outdoors, as it is the mark of a densely insulated material. Expect an R-value close to or at 9.5 for an air mattress or sleeping pad suitable for winter temperatures.
Top 10 Camping Mattresses for Couples
1. Exped MegaMat Duo 10
Pros: This self-inflating sleeping pad can be easily adjusted with a compact mini pump. 3.9 inches thick, soft to the touch, and insulated for superior comfort throughout the seasons.
Cons: Full inflation can take a while, and it can take effort to fully deflate the pad and put it back into the carrying bag.
- Sizes: Double (77.6 x 52) & Regular (72 x 41), both 3.9″ thick.
- Weight: Double (9lbs – 14.7oz), Regular (7lbs – 8oz)
- Pump: Self Inflating, plus Mini Pump to finish the job.
- Mattress Material: Okeo-Tex Certified Polyester Top & Bottom, TPU Laminate, Open Cell PU Foam Insulation
This 3.9-inch thick pad is the best camping air mattress for couples we have found. The MegaMat Duo is constructed of superior materials, offering a level sleeping surface and excellent comfort for two people. This air mattress is perfect for car camping, basecamp, or even at home.
The materials and insulation make it one of the better camping pads for car camping. Soft to the touch, the skin of the mattress won’t squeak or rub you the wrong way during the night. It is sized perfectly to fill most 2 person tents and has an R-value of 9.5, one of the highest R-values found in camping air mattresses.
Inflation is easy if not fast, thanks to the two wide FlatValves. The MegaMat self inflates but you’ll likely want to finish the job with the included mini pump to reach your perfectly desired firmness. Deflation is quick, save for squeezing the last bit of air out to fit it back in the carry sack.
Overall, the MegaMAt Duo 10 is an excellent air mattress, and a worthy buy that you and your sweetheart can enjoy many years of camping with.
2. Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person Air Mattress
Pros: Solid option for those with chemical sensitivities (PVC Free). Owners rave about its durability.
Cons: Mattress takes time to inflate and those wanting a very firm sleep surface may find that hard to achieve. While the pump is included, remember to buy 4 D batteries before heading out.
- Size: 79” x 55” x 7”
- Weight: 6 lbs.
- Pump: battery operated pump and storage bag included.
- Mattress Material: PVC-free TPU material with no unpleasant plastic odors.
This couples air mattress from Lightspeed Outdoors is one of the more affordable options for campers looking for a quality air mattress. It is not self-inflating, but a battery operated pump can make quick work of that. The included pump is not the fastest, if you can’t stand it you can buy a better one. The Lightspeed mattress weighs just 6 lbs, perfect for casual camping and hiking, but even tolerable to backpack with.
3. ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed
Pros: Firm, durable, and surprisingly lightweight. A PVC-free mattress for those with chemical sensitivities.
Cons: It is narrower than a standard queen size (56″ vs 60″).
- Size: Twin (39″ x 80″ x 6″), and Queen (56” x 80” x 6”)
- Weight: Twin (3lbs-10oz), and Queen (5lbs-6oz)
- Pump: Rechargeable pump included.
- Mattress Material: 150D TPU Polyester Oxford Fabric
The ALPS Velocity is another firm and durable camping air bed for couples. The included rechargeable pump is excellent, and can easily fill the mattress several times on one charge. Just remember to give it an initial charge of 12 hours before the first use and you shouldn’t have any issues. The Queen size bed runs a few inches narrower than standard, but it helps when fitting it inside a 2 person tent.
4. Eureka! Rio Grande Queen Air Bed
Pros: A nifty camping air mattress with soft touch fabric and a raised pillow end.
Cons: One of the more expensive air mattress in our Top 10.
- Size: Queen (79″ x 55″ x 6″)
- Weight: 5lbs-3oz
- Pump: Rechargeable pump included.
- Mattress Material: TPU with a suede-like outer fabric.
The Rio Grande is a well made & well thought out camping air mattress. There are not a lot of reviews for the Rio Grande air mattress out there, perhaps due to the price, but you will be hard pressed to find one that doesn’t rave about it.
It’s PVC free, has a nice soft but grippy outer fabric shell, a raised pillow end, and holds it’s air extremely well. All of these factors lead to a comfortable camping experience for couples. You won’t be rolled around by your partner, or wake up squished toghether in the middle of a saggy air bed.
5. Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Camper Duo
Pros: A unique couples air pad that allows each camper to adjust the firmness needed with their own chamber and valves. Perfect for the backpacking couple to share.
Cons: Quite expensive, but it’s specialty item and meant for longer backpacking trips.
- Size: Double (77″ x 50″ x 3″)
- Weight: 4lbs-2oz
- Pump: Not included, fill by mouth or NeoAir Mini Pump.
- Mattress Material: 75D polyester
Best Sleeping Pad for Couples: Looking for a double size sleeping pad to do some easy backpacking with your honey? Look no further than the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Duo. Therm-a-rest is well known for sleeping pads and they hit a home run with the NeoAir Duo.
The Duo is basically two attached NeoAir pads, but they are totally independent of each other, meaning each sleeper can inflate their side to preferred firmness, it’s kind of like Sleep Number for camping. At 3″ thick, it’s not like you’ll be roughing it either. The NeoAir Duo inflates easily as well, but you’ll get the best performance with a pocket pump like the NeoAir Mini Pump .
Pros: This is one big, super comfy, self-inflating air mattress. Includes a carry case and a pump that doubles as a pillow.
Cons: One of the more expensive mattresses, and heavy, but REI has excellent customer support should you have an issue.
- Size: Double (78″ x 55 ” x 4″)
- Weight: 9lbs-5oz
- Pump: Self-inflating, with pad pump for top off.
- Mattress Material: Polyester
Think of the Camp Dreamer as a more luxurious version of the Exped MegaMat Duo. This mattress is newly designed for REI, and as its name suggests, is a deluxe camping mattress ideal for couples who love car camping.
The Camp Dreamer Deluxe features horizontal foam cores that help the pad keep its firmness, and not bouncing the other sleeper around from movement. The vertical sidewalls don’t sacrifice any sleeping surface area. Inflation is automatic, and relatively fast, thanks to two reversible TPR valves. Deflation, roll up, and stowing into the carry bag takes just 10 minutes.
Pros: REI Quality, soft to the touch, this Queen air bed for couples has welded seams to prevent air leaks and enhance durability.
Cons: It may take time and effort to inflate with a manual air pump. The inflation port is on the short side of the air bed.
- Size: Queen (79″ x 56″ x 6″)
- Weight: 5lbs-13oz
- Pump: Manual Pump included
- Mattress Material:
The REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed is a nice mid-range option and comes in an attractive asphalt color. The bed offers adequate protection from cold and uneven ground and is pretty kid-proof. Some may find it a bit too firm when inflated but may deflate it to achieve a more comfortable level. It’s not quite as large as a standard Queen, but Queen sheets are still recommended with this air bed.
8. Coleman Camp Cot & Air Bed
Pros: In addition to the air bed, get a steel cot, two side tables for personal items and a battery-operated pump. This is a great value for those new to camping, needing the additional gear, wanting to spread out or enjoy some additional storage space. It also makes a great guest bed at home.
Cons: Heaviest air bed reviewed and only really suitable for car camping.
- Size: Twin, Queen (59” x 22” x 78”)
- Weight: 29 lbs (twin air bed folding cot); 41.9 lbs (queen air bed folding cot); all included 92.6 lbs.
- Pump: Battery Operated Pump (4 D Cells)
- Mattress Material: Nylon, Steel Frame Cot
An affordable air bed for couples, this one comes with a sturdy steel cot for an elevated sleeping experience. ComfortStrong coil construction offers additional support with an AirTight system for leak prevention. With a weight limit of 600 lbs. and a height limit of 6’ 2”, most people will find this a comfortable air bed option. This bed offers great support for sleeping and other activities. Some find that the bed needs to be topped off with the included pump to maintain its firmness the next night.
9. KingCamp Deluxe Double Sleeping Pad
Pros: An affordable self-inflating sleeping pad, it will inflate in minutes unlike some self-inflating mattresses.
Cons: The mattress tapers down from 51” to 48” wide, rather than fully rectangular.
- Size: Double (78″ x 51″ x 3″)
- Weight: 11.5 lbs
- Pump: Self inflating
- Mattress Material: 150D Oxford Polyester
Those who do not want to spend much on an air mattress, but still get a quality product may want to check out the KingCamp Deluxe Double sleeping pad. This self-inflating camp pad has two non-corrosive brass valves enabling rapid inflation and deflation. It can withstand some cooler temps with an R-value of 7.4, getting a camper through a mild fall in most areas, but is not an all-season self-inflating air mattress. The surface is a little slick, and some people fund sleeping bags to slide a bit on top. As with other self-inflating sleeping pads, it can take effort to deflate it and fold back up.
10. Coleman QuickBed Elite Queen
Pros: This is the best cheap camping air mattress for couples, in a Queen size with 600lb support capacity.
Cons: Be careful buying, as the Queen size can be bought with or without a pump.
- Size: Queen (78″ x 58″ x 9.5″)
- Weight: 9.2 lbs
- Pump: Available with or without a pump
- Mattress Material:
Enjoy ComfortStrong coil construction (Queen with pump) and AirTight System for better support, while leaks are prevented with a double lock valve. Constructed for indoor and outdoor use, this air mattress supports a combined weight of up to 600 lbs. Customers like the convenience of the built-in pump and quick inflation of deflation of the mattress.
Which Couples Camping Air Mattress is Right for You?
Finding the best couples air mattress for camping depends entirely on your specific needs and those of your partner. As air mattresses can vary widely in terms of price, durability, R-value, special features, materials used and weight limits, it is important to make sure that a chosen couples air mattress won’t let you down when you need it the most.
- Best Overall Couples Camping Air Mattress: Camping couples planning to use their new air mattress frequently, and in all seasons of weather should lay out for the Exped MegaMat Duo 10. It is highly regarded, well made, and has the highest level of insulation in the mattresses reviewed, it provides an effective barrier from cold temperatures without sacrificing comfort.
- Best Budget Camping Air Mattress: The good old Coleman QuickBed Elite Queen comes in for the win because along with its low price, the built-in pump option on the Queen makes for easy inflation and deflation and eliminates the possibility of misplacing the air pump.
- Best Couples Backpacking Air Mattress: When it comes to backpacking, it should be no surprise that the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Camper Duo is the best for couples. It offers a unique chamber system that is great for when couples want different levels of firmness. It is also lightweight and easy to deflate and roll back up into a backpack.
There is no need for anyone to compromise on comfort when such a choice of high-quality air mattresses and sleeping pads are available. Now is the time to get the best camping air mattress for couples and wake fully rested when car camping!